Last updated on April 3rd, 2022
When you start a self-hosted WordPress blog, the very first things come into your mind ” How much does it cost to build a blog on WordPress “
Well, there is no straight answer to this question. Because the cost to create a blog website depends on your budget and website needs.
However, knowing how much does it cost to start a blog on WordPress, of course, you will save your time (and money).
If you don’t want to waste your money read this blog up to the bottom? In this blog, I explain how much it costs to start a self-hosted WordPress blog.
Let’s get started!!
How Much Does it Cost to Build a Self-Hosted Blog?
In general, the whole cost to build a blog on WordPress is between $100 and $250. And the basic cost includes a domain, hosting, and WordPress theme.
But your setup costs can increase if you invest in other blogging tools, resources, and essential plugins.
Let’s figure out what are the major elements that cost you more when building a WordPress blog.
A domain name is the very first thing you need to start a self-host blog.
In other words, your domain name is the address of your blog on the Internet. You need a domain to build a WordPress blog website to help people find you online.
So, how much does a domain name cost to start a blog?
Well, the Domain price depends on the domain register or hosting provider you register with.
But, If you want to buy a domain name from a domain register it cost anywhere between $8.00 – $20 per year.
Let’s have a quick look at the average DOT com cost:
Avrage .com domain Cost
|Provider||.Com Price||Renew||Check Price|
Note: No matter where you buy your domain name, make sure you have domain privacy with your domain.
Dynadot is probably the cheapest domain provider around and the .com domain costs only $6.99 a year. It
NameCheap – $8.88
NameCheap is my personal favorite domain register since 2018. I used to have a couple of domains from GoDaddy.
But later on, I found Namecheap is great and I move all my domains to Namecheap. The great news it’s offers free domain privacy and It average cost of the .com domain cost $8.88 per year.
Godaddy is a solid option in terms of the domain name and Web hosting. It counts as an industry leading domain register.
From Godaddy, you will get a .com domain of $10.00 and $20.00 per year. But if you buy it the first time the .com domain costs $6.66 per year.
Domain.com is one of the most popular domain registrars and its .com domain costs you $8.99.
Name.com – $9.99
Name.com is one of the largest domain registrars and the .com domain costs $9.99. From name.com you can register a wide variety of domain extensions.
So, How much does a Domain Name cost?
Basically, domain prices vary greatly depending on the register you choose. After checking some popular domain providers, you can guess that the average costs anywhere between $8.00 – $20 per year.
Feel headaches aren’t you? don’t worry, that’s what we are about to cover here.
Let’s see how much does WordPress hosting costs to build a blog
When it comes to answering the question of, “how much does it cost to build a blog on WordPress?” is determining your web hosting requirements.
Building a website with WordPress (.org) you must NEED web hosting. The major cost of starting a blog comes from web hosting and you cannot avoid this cost.
I’d suggest that you do not compromise the quality of your WordPress hosting service. You should try a hosting service that’s fast, secure, and reliable (yet affordable).
Some recommended WordPress hosting You can check:
Average WordPress Hosting cost
|Web Hosting||Monthly Cost||Yearly Cost||Check Price|
|Bluehost||$2.95 /Mo||$35.40 Yearly||Visit Site|
|Hostgator||$3.95 /Mo||$47.00 Yearly||Visit Site|
|ScalaHosting||$6.95 /mo||$83.40 Yearly||Visit Site|
|Nexcess||$15.83 /mo||$190 Yearly||Visit Site|
|Wp Engine||$22.00 /mo||$265 Yearly||Visit Site|
Here’s some of the Hosting you can use:
1. Bluehost: Best hosting for beginners. They offer great shared hosting solutions at incredibly affordable prices.
2. Hostgator: Best for any business that’s looking for simple websites. HostGator is a well known web hosting company because they stand out for the way they manage their web hosts.
3. ScalaHosting: Anytime Guaranteed web hosting for anyone. I love Scalahosting because of its speed, scalability, and support, no matter what.
4. Nexcess: Best WordPress hosting for scaling and growth. They offer a truly excellent host with a wide assortment of plans for longtime customers.
Above these five is one of the favorite web hostings I ever used in my blogging journey.
Once you’re paid for your web hosting all the extras you can add at a later date or right now if you have the investment.
How much does WordPress hosting cost?
Basically a web hosting cost: $5-25 per month, or $60-250 per year. But it depends on your site needs and the features you want.
WordPress Set up Cost
WordPress setup cost is mostly free. You don’t need to hire a developer because there are so many tutorials and resources available on the internet.
All you need to do is search out and learn how to install WordPress. If you are not sure where to start, here are some of the tutorials I’ve already written.
- How to install WordPress in Hostgator
- 15 Essential Settings After Installing WordPress
- How to Connect NameCheap Domain to HostGator [4 Steps]
- How to install WordPress in Namecheap
By following the guide I’m pretty much sure you get everything done. Even if you don’t require tech skills to build a WordPress website.
Note: If you want a step-by-step guide, I have written a detailed guide (9900 words) on how to start a WordPress blog from scratch in under 10 minutes.
WordPress Theme Cost (Not Necessary)
Once you’ve got your hosting, then the very first thing you need to focus on is blog design. YES! you heard right because blog design matters a lot.
For a better blog design, you need a better WordPress theme. Though there are tons of free and paid themes available on the market and in the WordPress theme directory.
You can either use a free theme or paid theme, it totally depends on your website needs and budget.
Technically, If you need advanced features and awesome looks then you need a paid theme, or if you need a normal site then a free theme is good enough.
Now you might think, Am I not able to build a blog on a free theme? Answer; YES.
There’s nothing wrong with using a FREE WordPress theme. But the reason behind the free theme just hooks to get you to pay for their premium version.
If you install a free theme and I can 100% guarantee you’ll be upgrading to their paid version within a few days.
Why? It is because you constantly feel the lack of the features you need. All the way, you feel you should upgrade a paid theme. By far I think it’s worth paying for a WordPress theme.
Here’s some of the theme you can use:
- Twenty Twenty (free): It is a completely free theme that comes with the default-free Gutenberg editor.
- Neve (freemium): It’s perfect for blogs, small business, startups, agencies, online shops and more.
- GeneratePress (freemium): It is a lightweight WordPress theme.
- Avada (paid): Avada is the ULTIMATE game changer, all in one wordpress theme
- Genesis Framework (paid): It is a fast, fully customizable & beautiful theme suitable for any type of WordPress website.
From my experience, I HIGHLY recommended you to get a paid theme but not STRICTLY essential.
Choosing the right theme might be the toughest task similar to web hosting because you need speed, price, and functionalities.
If you are looking for all one solution then go with Genesis or if you want to build a website fast then go with Avada. Because Avada’s pre-made template allows you to build a website in a few seconds (no tech skills required).
So, How much does a WordPress theme cost?
A WordPress theme costs you $0 – $130, but a paid theme mostly costs between $50- $70 per year. But it’s not a necessary cost to build a blog on WordPress.
Must Read: 12+ Best WordPress theme for Blogs
WordPress Plugin Costs (Not Necessary)
WordPress plugin cost is almost $0 to $200. And it depends on your site needs and budget.
If you just start a new website or blog, the free plugin is enough. Because most new bloggers want to start blogging with minimal investment.
You don’t need any premium plugins because WordPress has a lot of free plugins that make it easy for you.
But if you don’t have a budget issue, you can get some of the premium plugins to boost your site’s functionality.
Here is some WordPress plugin you need to start with:
- SeedProd: It is an under construction plugin, while you design your blog and lets you hide your new WordPress site until it’s ready.
- Yoast: It’s a must have SEO plugin to check each blog post or page SEO score.
- WPForms: A drag and drop form builder to create a contact form for your site.
- MonsterInsights: It allows you to connect your website to Google Analytics to check data about your site visitors.
- Wp Rocket: This plugin improves your website speed and performance as well as the user experience.
- Convert Plus: It allows you to capture emails from your visitors.
- Social Warfare: It’s for social media share buttons on your blog.
- BackupBuddy: It creates a real-time backup plugin of your site right in the WordPress dashboard.
- Sucuri: It is one of the best security plugins for web applications. It provides firewalls to protect your site against hackers, DDoS attacks, brute force attacks, malware, and more. If you want an all-in-one web service from one place like CDN, Backup, and security then go for it.
Above these plugins are mostly free, some of them can cost money. There are always paid plugin alternatives in WordPress.
No matter what functionality you need just search in the WordPress plugin directory whereas 58,864 plugins are available.
Note: In WordPress, you need a premium plugin only when you need more advanced features. If you don’t need it then the plugin cost is ZERO.
FAQ: Cost to Build a Blog on WordPress
Over to You
If you’ve been thinking about starting or moving to a self-hosted blog, it’s not going to be inexpensive. However WordPress might be free, but the “self-hosted” part is giving you pause.
If you want to make money blogging, you need to invest money in it. Because blogging is not blog or writing it’s about a business.
HERE’S THE TRUTH:
|LOW BUDGET||Mid BUDGET|
|Total=||$90 (within 100)||$600 (within 600)|
Ahhh! That’s it!
By far, Self-hosted WordPress is one of the quickest and most inexpensive ways to build a website or blog.
If you just started then the website cost you almost $100, which means within 100. But if you need other blogging tools like themes and plugins then the cost is within $600.
Though WordPress website cost it depends on the type of site you want to build
So, What do you think… how much does it cost to build a blog on WordPress? Share your thoughts in the comment below.!
You Might Also Like this:
- How often should you blog for better SEO
- Does it still make sense to start a blog
- Top 15 Terrible Blogging mistake You Need to Avoid in 2022
- 11 Amazing Benefits of Blogging for Business and Marketing
- Which are the Best and Cost Effective Cloud Hosting in 2022
- 5 best-managed Cloud hosting worth checkin in 2022
- Top 9 Best SiteGround Alternatives 2022 (Cheaper & Better)
- Top 6 Blog Content Writing Tools You Need to Use for SEO
- How to Start a Travel Blog in 2022 from Scratch (Simple Guide)